AboutWelcome, Vision, Staff, History, Beliefs
A warm welcome to the Village Church – we look forward to your visit.
We are a multi-generational church that is committed to doing God’s work and in joining God’s mission in Northbrook and beyond.
Each week we have two services: 9:30 am (Contemporary) and 11:00 am (Traditional) with Sunday school (nursery-5th) offered during both services. Services are also live-streamed on our sermons page each week at 9:30 am and 11:00 am.
During the summer, the 8:30 am (Traditional) service meets in the Chapel in the Pines, weather permitting. The 10:00 am (Contemporary) service meets in the Sanctuary. Children's Sunday School meets only at 10:00 am in the outdoor tent on the church lawn.
What We DoWe follow Jesus, love and serve one another, and make new disciples in our community and around the world.
How We Do ItWherever we are, we create a multigenerational movement of disciples that extends faith, hope and love in Jesus Christ. We use God’s blessing of influence in all aspects of our lives to become spiritual leaders in our communities.
Why We Do ItWe are called to bless and share the peace of Jesus Christ, helping people take another step closer to God.
Rev. Dr. Spencer LundgaardSenior Pastor
Rev. Greg BuellAssociate Pastor for Small Groups & Worship
Dr. Chuck GuthMinister for Discipleship & Congregational Care
Ruth HealdDirector of Music
Ed BurtonYouth & Family Minister
Nancy FreseChildren & Family Minister
Gay BoundyOffice Manager
Kim KarpelesDirector of Communication
Greg HartfieldProperty Manager
Northbrook, originally Shermerville, was established in 1885. In 1890 some young people from the Congregational Church in Glencoe, with a few friends from Shermerville, started a Sunday School in the Shermerville School House on Waukegan Road across from what is now the Crestwood Senior Center. As that Sunday School grew, a committee of Christians called for a meeting at the railroad station on May 21, 1892 to establish The Hope Union Church of Shermerville. There were difficulties in the early years, and for the first 25 years, the church’s size and vitality was somewhat dependent on itinerant preachers from Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.
During the first 30 years, the membership did not increase as there was little money in the area until 1922. In that year, the membership voted to become part of the Presbyterian denomination, in order to bring stability and support to the church. This was the same year that the village of Shermerville changed its name to Northbrook, and the Hope Union Church of Shermerville was renamed Northbrook Presbyterian Church.
On May 15, 1949, the new church building and sanctuary at 1300 Shermer Road was officially dedicated and the congregation became known as The Village Presbyterian Church.
Since its inception, this congregation has been committed to sharing and nurturing faith in Jesus Christ and serving others in the community and throughout the world.